08 8255 2219

School History

historyElizabeth South Primary School opened in February 1956 as the first school in the Elizabeth area. The wooden ‘temporary’ buildings remained for the next 25 years, until in 1981 the new brick buildings were opened. The first headmaster was Mr C.T.R. Hall and Miss S. Canning was headmistress of the infants.

The school began with only 90 students of all nationalities within one classroom.  The first year saw staff and students tackle difficult conditions with enthusiasm. Staff and students dealt with very few reading books and no electricity. Parent evenings were held by candlelight and assemblies were held on a sea of red mud. With no toilet block, students needed to walk over to the empty houses on Goodman Road if nature called. Workmen were adding to the school throughout the first year to cope with its explosive growth. During the schools second year, it grew to more than 2000 students making it the biggest in the state.

Throughout the 60 years, Elizabeth South Primary School has continued to cater for a diverse range of cultures. Operating as a Junior and Primary School for many years, the two schools amalgamated in the late 1990’s to form one R-7 school.  The school prides itself on having high expectations and providing a quality education for students in the area.

Exerts taken from Elizabeth The Garden City by Margaret Galbreath and Gillian Pearson